Millions of apps are available for iPhone as well as iPad, and despite being most of the apps available for iPad, There are still quite a few of popular apps like Snapchat that are still only available for iPhones. Today in this quick tutorial I will tell you how to use “iPhone only” apps on your iPad natively. The apps will run on your iPad as they are built for that screen size. No more black borders and zoomed in iPhone apps on iPads.
Before I start telling you the steps you need to follow, I would like to mention here that you will need jailbreak because we will be using Cydia tweaks. And as I referred to in my iPhone Cydia app sideloading tutorial, we can not sideload Cydia tweaks. That is only possible for Cydia Apps, not tweaks.
If you are expecting 100% results, then please don’t, because we will be tweaking the apps that are built for iPhone to be able to run on iPad in full screen. This might break some of the apps, but the best part about this method is that you can choose which app to make full screen and which not.
Use iPhone apps on iPad natively
I think I have rambled for quite a lot of time and now it is time to get started. Right? I will be using my iPad Air 2 in this tutorial which is running iOS 9.3.3. The semi-tethered jailbreak is installed on my iPad, and you will also need to be jailbroken. The Apps I will be using are Snapchat, Fiverr, and Rabbit.
To use iPhone only apps in full screen on an iPad, there is an awesome Cydia tweak called RetinaPad. The tweak is developed by Ryan Petrich, and you can get this tweak from his repository.
Use iPhone apps on iPhone in full screen
- Open Cydia app and tap on the Sources section.
- Here you will need to tap on the “Edit” button in the top right corner of the screen. Now tap on the “Add” button in the top-left corner, and a pop-up will show up.
- The pop-up will ask you to enter the URL of the repository you want to install. Just enter the URL given below and press “Add URL.” Alternatively, you can just click here, and all of the work will be done for you.
https://rpetri.ch/repo/Make sure that you are not missing any of the characters from the URL. Even the https part is needed.
Once added, you will see a black loading screen. That is normal because Cydia is getting the list of all the packages that are available on that repository. Make sure that your iPad is connected to the internet.
- Once done, click on “Return to Cydia” button and now tap on the search button.
- Here you will need to search for “RetinaPad.” The Cydia tweak will look like this image.
- After that simply install this tweak and respring your iPad. After your iPad is ON again, Go to Settings apps and there you will be able to locate a separate section for RetinaPad.
- In that section, you can select which iPhone app you want to make full screen. I would recommend that you make all the iPhone apps full screen. Then Respring your iPad. Now check all the apps and turn Retinapad off for those that are not working properly for you.
What if apps start crashing?
I recommend doing all apps at once because you will need to respring your iPad for the settings to take effect. And if you have a bunch of different iPhone apps, it can take some time if you start doing all of them one at a time. If the apps start crashing, you will need to uninstall the tweak and then it will be all good after a respring.
So there you have it, guys. Now you can use ‘iPhone only’ apps on your iPad just like you would be able to use any app built for iPad. If you were able to use iPhone apps on iPad in full-screen mode, make sure to share this tutorial with your friends and followers on Twitter. Speaking of Twitter, you can follow us on twitter and there you will be updated as soon as a new tutorial is published.